Sunday, March 30, 2008

Back From Leave

After what was an amazingly fast couple weeks with my family I'm back to the grind in Iraq. I had an absolutely fantastic time at home. My parents were able to come spend some time with us which was great. My kids were on spring break and my wife took off work the second week I was home and we had a great time. Just spending time with them was great, but we also did a few fun things. We went to Baltimore and enjoyed the Medieval Times dinner theatre. We also went to Colonial Williamsburg for a few days. We were there for the opening day of Busch Gardens theme park. It was a lot of fun. I want to mention something great about this park - they offer 4 free passes a year for members of the military so my family got in free. It's a great program and I appreciate the generosity very much.

I know I said I had a great visit already, but it really was good. It's also very painful to have to pack back up and leave again, but I got some great news while I was home that helps to lessen that pain somewhat. I had a job interview while I was home and I was lucky enough to be selected for a squadron command position. I was very happy and surprised to be selected, but I was even more surprised when I found out I was being released early from Iraq to report for my next job. The way it looks now, I'll be leaving Iraq in time to make a mid July report date. I feel bad in a way because I volunteered to spend a year here and I'll be leaving a little early, but I'm extremely happy that I don't have to spend as much time away from my family and I'm humbled that I get the opportunity to be a squadron commander.

I hope the next three months go by as quickly as the last 6 have....

Andy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job Andy!
Maybe we can talk Rog into a visit when you get back home... the girls' talk nonstop about the "tunnel" - Port of Discovery Museum.... take care

Anonymous said...

Great news and congratulations! - Cindy

Jimmy said...

Congratulations on your much deserved promotion!!!!