Friday, August 24, 2007

We've Been Here Before

Strange things happen mentally in the few weeks leading up to a deployment. For those of you who have been down this path you know what I'm talking about. As the time for my departure draws closer I find my mind drifting to Iraq and this upcoming challenge more and more. I'm starting to distance myself mentally from home. That may sound like the opposite of what a person should do, but it's what happens. I know the feelings and emotions that come with this, because this is my third deployment. My wife and kids also know how it goes in the days leading up to my departure. I've become preoccupied with what I'll be doing and what it will be like when I get there. I have to start turning responsibilities around the house over to my wife - she will after all, be taking care of all of it while I'm gone. Those normal conversations people have about Halloween or the next family birthday or some other upcoming even are avoided because I won't be here to be part of it. I try to compensate by spending as much time with the kids and my wife as possible, but the reality of my impending departure hangs over everything we do and say. It's strange and hard to explain but I think it's a normal part of getting ready to leave. Mental distance as a defense against inevitable goodbyes. At least we (my family) know the feelings and we know they're normal so we can push through this and not get upset with each other. After all, we've been here a couple times before..........

No comments: