Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pre-Deployment Frustration

It's always hard in the weeks leading up to a deployment. There's always an endless list of things to get done at home before I go, the turmoil of the upcoming family separation, the nervousness of the unknown tasks that await, and of course, the military requirements that must be complete before I go. The military requirements are always challenging and have been the basis for many a good joke about hurry up and wait, the inefficiencies of the military, etc. etc. Well, I'm learning a whole new level of frustration with this deployment. Because I'm deploying as part of a joint organization, it seems as if I now have several different agencies levying requirements against me and yet they are still unable to help with some of the most basic questions like "who gives me my uniforms to deploy with"? It seems simple enough , I'm in the Air Force so I should get Air Force uniforms to wear while I'm deployed. Unfortunately for me, I'm not deploying through the normal Air Force channels so I'm sort of falling through the cracks. I could wait until I get to the Army post for my Army deployment processing and see what happens there, but I have the funny feeling I'd be wearing an Army uniform for the next year. It's interesting to say the least, but I know it will all manage to come together before I leave so I shouldn't worry too much about it - besides, I have that endless list of things around the house to worry about.....

No comments: